What To Do About Back Child Support Owed

by | Feb 19, 2019 | Lawyers

Child support is one of the key tools that helps to preserve a child’s best interest. These payments can be used to help parents provide food, clothing or shelter. It can also help custodial parents provide adequate health care and other luxuries such as trips to summer camp for their sons or daughters. Let’s look at what you can do if you haven’t received the support that you are owed.

Contact the Child Support Office in Your State

The first thing that you should do is contact the appropriate authorities in your state about the nonpayment. Afterward, you can talk to your child support lawyer Rockford IL about how to obtain back support. In some cases, it may be possible to work directly with the noncustodial parent to work out a deal that helps both the adults and the child. However, if that isn’t possible, a judge may take steps to compel payment such as ordering wages garnished. Tax refunds and other benefit checks may also be seized by the state to make up for back child support owed.

Have Your Circumstances Changed?

If you are better able to take care of your child, it may be possible to negotiate a lower child support payment going forward. This could make it easier for the child’s other parent to provide for the child without facing jail time or other legal consequences. Your child support lawyer Rockford IL may suggest ways that a noncustodial parent can support a child other than with monthly payments. For example, the other parent could allow the child to spend more time at his or her house, which may be helpful to a working custodial mother or father.

Going to TheCrosbyLawFirm.com can help you learn more about the Crosby Law Firm can assist with your child support case.

Latest Articles