If you have received a personal injury, you may need a lawyer to help resolve your case. The person responsible for the injury may be denying responsibility. You may also feel pressure to settle because of medical costs, lost wages, or being hospitalized. That is why finding the right injury attorney in Van Nuys can be critical to getting the right resolution for your personal injury claim. Here are some questions you can ask a personal injury attorney to make sure you get the right lawyer for your claim.
Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Attorney
- What type of personal injury claims do you handle? Personal injury is a broad category that includes automobile accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, and a variety of other injuries. Not all personal injury lawyers handle all types of personal injury claims.
- What are your fees? Finding out how much a case will cost is important because it can help you determine whether or not a settlement offer is fair.
- How are fees paid? Most personal injury attorneys get paid on a contingency basis, which means that they do not get paid their fees unless or until they get a settlement or a judgment in your favor.
- How do you handle costs? Costs are different from attorney’s fees. They refer to things like testing fees or other third-party costs. In contrast to fees, many times clients are responsible for costs, even if they lose, and payment for costs may be due when they are incurred.
- How long will my case take? While no attorney can guarantee you a time frame, an experienced personal injury attorney should be able to give you an estimate of the time your case will take in both settlement and trial scenarios.
- What is the value of my case? While every personal injury case is unique, an experienced injury attorney will have some idea of the value of certain types of injuries.
Finding a personal injury attorney can be daunting, but the process is easier when you know the right questions to ask. Scott D. Oppenheim Attorneys at Law is a firm of injury attorney in Van Nuys, where the attorneys are happy to answer all of your questions to help you find the right lawyer for your case.